Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Beautiful Budapest

Sorry for the radio silence this past month!  It's taken me quite a while to get round to editing my photos, as loverboy and I have pretty much spent all of our spare time outdoors this summer, as you know.  However, now that the weather has turned decidedly autumnal, and we have already been on another holiday in the time that has lapsed (!!!), I have finally put together a post about our wonderful time in Budapest back in July.

The most popular Communist-era car to come out of Eastern Europe - the Trabant.  Or as it is affectionately referred to, the 'Trabi'!

This tram was yarn-bombed!


If you have been reading this blog for a while, you may have read about my last trip to Hungary, three years ago.  Growing up, I spent most of my summers by the lake Balaton and other parts of the country - did you know that I am half Hungarian?


Well since it had been three years already, we planned a trip to Budapest - my mum's home town - for her birthday.  I was excited to visit again, and extra excited that I got to share it with loverboy this time!

We met up with family members on our trip, including my aunt and cousin.

We had the most amazing time - perfect weather, delicious food, lots of sight-seeing and fabulous company.  Coincidentally, two of our friends from the San Francisco Bay Area were visiting Budapest at the same time as us, so we also got to hang out with them!

Bay Area represent!

I will get right on and tell you about some of my favourite places in Budapest that we visited on this trip.

The Szent István Bazilika is beautiful and we ended up in the square where it is located quite a few times during our stay.  This may or may not have had something to do with the delicious and quirky-flavoured rose-shaped ice creams that could be purchased nearby at Gelarto Rosa...

Salsa dancers, shaking their thang outside the Bazilika at night!

Hungary is famous for its thermal baths, and I couldn't wait to return to my favourite, the Széchenyi fürdő, with loverboy!


As well as offering massage, sauna, gym facilities, a restaurant and physiotherapy, the main draw (for me) are the outdoor pools.  There is a hot thermal pool, a swimming pool, a cooler pool and a whirlpool - all in the most beautiful setting.


We spent a nice and relaxing time here on our last day in the city, and after a week of sunshine and hot temperatures, there was a thundery rain shower and everyone (including us) got into the hot pool!  A fun and romantic moment!

Being a foodie, you just know that I was all over the Central Market - making two visits in one day!  The market is huge and full of fruit and veg, pastries, cheese, meat and Hungarian souvenirs.


This indoor market is beautiful and on such a grand scale that I would recommend anyone visiting Budapest to stop by and pick up some snacks.  We bought some delicious fruit, and a whole load of rétes (strudel) in many different flavours (I love them) - cabbage, cherry, apple, plum.  Yummers!


We also loaded up on pogácsa on multiple occassions this trip.  I mentioned this delicious snack in my other post on Hungary - they are sort of like little savoury scones and I can't get enough of them!  They come in different flavours (cheese, carraway seed etc) and we bought a whole bunch of them at the market to take as sustenance on our long, steep walk up Gellért-hegy, which is a hill overlooking the Danube and has a Citadel (Citadella) at the very top.

Pog-eye...

Let me tell you, it was quite the tiring walk, up endless amounts of steps in 35c degree heat.  We joked that if this was in the USA, this walk would be regarded as 'hiking' and everyone would be wearing lycra workout gear...
Szabadság Szobor - Liberty Statue - commemorating those who sacrificed their lives for the independence, freedom, and prosperity of Hungary.

One of my favourite places to chill and have a drink was Deák Ferenc tér.  This square is bustling with outdoor bars, music, a ferris wheel (every city seems to have one these days!) and a vibrant atmosphere.


A good thing to remember when walking around Budapest, is: look up!  There is so much detail on the architecture, and you miss so much if you keep your eyes at ground level.


Some other points of interest that we visited were....

Budavári Palota (Buda Castle), which used to be known as the Royal Palace and is now a museum.  Check out the amazing water fountain!


Halászbástya (Fisherman's Bastion), also on Castle Hill and named after the guild of fishermen responsible for defending the city walls in the Middle Ages.


Mátyás-templom (Matthias Church) which is a Roman Catholic Church, located next to the Halászbástya.


Parlament (Hungarian Parliament), a beautiful Gothic architectural landmark located on the banks of the Danube.


Hősök tere (Heroes' Square), which features the Millennium Memorial dedicated to the heroes who gave their lives for freedom and national independence.


Magyar Állami Operaház (Hungarian State Opera House) - we did not attend a performance, but went to look around as it is a stunning piece of architecture with an exquisite interior.

 Of course Aaron rode the Sphinx outside the Opera House...

We had the most wonderful holiday, and with more time, we could have seen and done so much more, as Budapest really is a vibrant city with a lot to offer in terms of history, tourism, culture and nightlife.

There's so much more I could have shared, but this post just kept getting longer and longer!

I can't wait to go back!  Hopefully we will get to visit again next year, even if just for a weekend...

20 comments:

  1. These photos absolutely take my breath away. Budapest is so, so stunning and incredibly steeped in important European history, which just makes me love it a million times more. I'm really happy to know that you guys had an amazing time there - it's definitely a city I'd love to spend time in one day as well.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* You were the cutest, most delightfully pretty outfits when you travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I hope that you get to go one day too - it's such a beautiful city with so much to see and do, and I always recommend it as a holiday destination, as people generally do not seem to know too much about it! :P You hit the nail on the head about the historical aspect too.

      Thank you! It is a lot easier to dress in fun, summery colourful clothing when it is hot, hot, hot! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous trip! I love seeing all of these photos, especially since I really knew nothing of Budapest. Makes me realize how badly I need a holiday! 6 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post Elisa! I was a little worried that it was too long, but I didn't want to break it into separate posts, and I find it really hard to edit photos down to a manageable number hahah! :) I can't wait for you to get to the UK! xx

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! Fantastic holiday!!! I had no idea that you are half Hungarian. That's an interesting tidbit about you!! You travel to the best places! Lobe living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of fun, and even though I have been many times before, I never get bored of visiting Budapest! It is the perfect summer destination. You would probably LOVE it in wintertime though, being a fan of Christmas, as it gets very snowy and has that whole winter/whimsy vibe going on! :)

      Delete
  4. I saw your comment on chronically vintage and clicked to see your blog and what great pictures. Budapest is amazing, I had no idea
    Kate the old fashioned way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad that you found my blog through CV, and glad that you liked all the pics! :) I hope that you stop by the blog again!

      Delete
  5. Your photos look fabulous! Those markets, pools and food... How cute are those rose ice-creams. Budapest is definitely a place on my list to visit. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! You deffo have to go sometime, it's a great city and works out as a super cheap holiday! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh that outdoor pools look like a dream! One of my dreams is to go to an open air hot springs in Japan. This would be a proper substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of my favourite places to visit! There are so many different hot springs around Hungary. I hope you get to go to Japan one of these days! :)

      Delete
  7. Loved seeing all your photos - the buildings are sensational! I've never been to Budapest but it looks like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great place to keep in mind if you are ever planning a European holiday! :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos!!! You are making me want to travel again so bad! I've actually never seen much of anywhere in Eastern Europe except for Russia, so I really need to see more when I'm over there next.
    The thermal baths look AMAZING, and that architecture, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Harlow! I think we both have the travel bug! :) It looks like you saw so many amazing places in Russia, I loved your photos!

      Delete
  9. wow, no, i didn't know that you're half hungarian!
    the haul of pictures look like you had a fantastic time there ... awesome. maybe one day i can go there ... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Hehehhehe there are a lot of photos, but you should see how many my husband took!!!! It is so beautiful, and it's very easy to get carried away with the camera!

      Delete
  10. FABULOUS!!! Looks like you all had a splendid time! I love how Europe hangs on to its history, unlike America where we just tear down everything! Such a shame! And you're right about that little walk being called a hike by Americans!!! LOL! That had me cracking up!

    Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did! :) There is definitely a longer history in Europe, although I love all the Americana and cool signs and diners and quirky places that you can find when travelling across the USA. Hahah, the hiking was a little joke, as when we were in LA earlier this year, we 'walked' up to the Hollywood sign in normal clothes, and people kept commenting that we weren't dressed for hiking! :)

      Delete