Friday, January 25, 2013

The View from the Shard

Last Friday, I was lucky enough to be given a ticket to preview The View from the Shard.


The Shard, situated by London Bridge, is the second tallest building in Europe and features the UK's highest open air observation deck.



The exterior of the building is made entirely of glass, which together with its shape is how it gets its name - because it looks like a shard of glass.


Designed by Italian architect, Lorenzo Piano, The Shard has 72 habitable floors - the 72nd features the observation deck, and is 244 metres off the ground.


The 365 degree view across London was, as you would expect, simply incredible.  You get to see all the famous landmarks from way up in the sky, and I have to say, the city looks truly beautiful from this birds-eye vantage point.




I went in the evening at 6.30pm, so by then it was already dark.  Luckily the snow from earlier in the day had stopped falling, and so we had a clear view of everything, all lit up.  Apparently what you see before you is a 40 mile view of London, which is quite astonishing!





I was rather amused to discover that you can admire the view of London from the comfort of a porcelain throne!  The bathrooms feature cubicles with toilets situated right next to a full length window, which makes for some pretty impressive loo breaks!




The View opens to the public on the 1st of February 2013.  Tickets are a bit pricey (just under £25), but if you get the chance, I would definitely recommend going, as it's quite a remarkable experience gazing over all the familiar sights and beyond, from such a great height.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view! I love the architecture and that the toilets have such a great view! Ha!

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does have a great view....but the toilets got the real excitement, as we didn't expect them to be right next to the windows! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing! I was curious about that structure when we were in London back in November. We just might have to check it out on our next trip this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it! Even the lifts to get to the top are fun to ride in! :) Just took a look at your blog Elisa - glad I found it!!!

      Delete
  3. That looks so fun and exciting! I've been up two towers here in Canada (The Calgary Tower and the CN Tower in Toronto) and adored both experiences. If I'm ever London, I hope to follow your lead and view the city from this awesome vantage point.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun, and although I was excited beforehand, I didn't fully grasp just how breath-taking it would be once I was up there! I marvel of the beauty of London, walking around every day, and it is just as gorgeous from way up in the sky! I hope that you get to visit London and see it for yourself one day! xxx

      Delete