Thursday, May 24, 2012

1940s Relived: from Home Front to Front Line

The 1940s were well and truly relived at the Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, last Saturday.

Photo by Henry O'Dwyer

A group of dancers, including loverboy and I, were invited by Natasha from Pretty Me Vintage, to dance at the outdoor event, which celebrated the 1940s across the 32 acre site belonging to the Brooklands Museum.


It was so lovely seeing everyone get into the spirit of things, with people dressed in their 40s finery and utility wear.  There were dance classes, a few vintage and reproduction stalls, music, a pop-up Pretty Me Vintage beauty parlour, live performances by the Swingtime Sweethearts (including an everybody-join-in rendition of Roll out the Barrel!), re-enactment groups, and a whole host of period vehicles, including racing cars, buses, motorcycles and aeroplanes.

 
 

The dance floor was set right in the centre of a VE day street party, complete with red, white and blue bunting.  There was a fun and happy atmosphere, and the sunshine even came out (resulting in a slight neck burn - hello farmer's tan...)!  All in all, the perfect setting for a morning and afternoon of swing dancing.

Photos by Sue Whyte

One of the really nice aspects to the day, was that it brought together people of all ages, from little children to war veterans.  I got chatting to a really lovely lady who was 90 years old!  I have to say, she was in great health, and I loved listening to stories about her experience during WWII - including how she started dating a boy when she was 15 years old, then he went to war for five years, and when he returned, they were married and lived a long and happy life together.  Such a sweet story, and such a sweet lady.


Normandy war veterans were in attendance....and so was 'Winston Churchill'!  In fact, Churchill judged the best-dressed competition, which I took part in, after being handed a tag, inviting me to participate.  Well, as it turns out, the competition only had two people in each category (three in the children's), which made it a bit awkward...but, being the good sport that I am, I entered into the spirit of things....and lost!  Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  The winner was fabulous - draped in furs and feathers, and a hat that she made herself!


It really was such a fun day out, and I was extra lucky to spend most of it on the arm of a handsome sailor....


I'm glad to hear that this day of good old fashioned fun is set to become an annual event, with a date already set for next year on the 18th May 2013.

10 comments:

  1. That event looked terribly fun! I love everything; the clothing, the cars, and the planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great day out, and I think that everyone who went along really enjoyed themselves! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had such a lovely day there. Plus that dress looks stunning on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Miss Rosie! We had a lot of fun, and will definitely go back again next year! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the dancing pics! And you won the bag over on my blog! http://intheheyday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/jubilee-bag-winner.html
    Do send me your address at shop@heydayonline.co.uk so we can send it to you!
    Shona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Thank you!!!!! How exciting, I have just emailed you! I have probably used far too many exclamation marks in my excitement...! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so gutted I missed this, everyone looks like they had such a great time. Congrats on winning the bag from Heyday btw, that's how I found you!

    Penny Dreadful Vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day out...but there's always next year! :) Thank you - I never win anything, so it was a really lovely surprise to have lady luck on my side today!!! I'm glad that you and some others found my blog through Heyday today...I hope you keep reading it! :) xx

      Delete
  5. this post is just fabulous! I too am SO upset I missed it! actually didn't even know of it! I will be writing it down as a reminder for for next time though! fabby stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! This was actually the first 1940s Relived event that they did, and I'm not sure how much it was promoted. It was such a success, that next year's date has already been set, so it looks like this will be the first of many! xx

      Delete