Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy birthday to me!

So another year has gone by and despite feeling a little unmotivated to organise a party, I ended up having a super fun time celebrating my birthday earlier this week.

I started to get into the spirit of things by baking a cake on Sunday to take out with me the following night. I had never made a red velvet cake before, and after tweaking the recipe a little, I was slightly nervous about how it would turn out...well, luckily it ended up tasting really yummy (even if I do say so myself), and I will definitely be making it again!


I saw in my anniversaire whilst out dancing on Sunday night at Gangbusters, a monthly club held on first Sundays in the upstairs bar at The Lexington pub in Angel. The night is hosted by Tim Hellzapoppin and features a selection of swing, jump blues and boogie woogie tunes. There was a nice crowd this month, and I was glad that I went out to enjoy my first dances as a 28 year old after the clock struck midnight.


After I left Gangbusters, I got to dance to some northern soul playing in the main bar downstairs - good to note that the same DJ's play a set there every Sunday and not only is the music awesome, but it's free entry and the decor is beautiful....you can't go wrong!








When I woke up on Monday morning, I couldn't help but feel a child-like excitement about opening my birthday parcel from Aaron, and got up early to unwrap my presents whilst on Skype with him. In case you're interested, these included a selection of sweeties, an awesome necklace that I'd had my eye on, and an absolutely beautiful pair of white dance wedges. I loved all of it and felt thoroughly spoilt! The surprises continued though, when I was drinking pink champagne with my mum in the afternoon and the doorbell rang, only to reveal a man from Interflora with a box containing a big bunch of roses from my sweetheart!






I met with friends on Monday night at The Gallery in West Hampstead, which is where Aaron and I held our engagement party earlier this year. This time I reserved the upstairs balcony area, which has a completely different feel to the downstairs bar, and holds less people, but was perfect for our group and nice for a change of scenery.










I lost count of the number of glasses of wine that everyone kept replenishing for me...








The cake went down a treat and I made a birthday wish...

What I couldn't wish for is a lovelier family, fiancé and friends because they are already the best. Thank you to everyone who made my day so special and for all the sweet birthday greetings!

Now, to keep applying my UV protection day cream and anti-wrinkle night cream and see how things look this time next year....

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely time. Happy Birthday! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog. I am so pleased that you loved your gifts and I can't wait to sample your next red velvet cake. Thank you for sharing your birthday experience. Love you loads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lottie! I did indeed have a wonderful time! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron thank you for making my birthday so special even though you were on the other side of the world! I will make the cake again when Team Brunch are reunited in London.... Love you sweetie! <3

    ReplyDelete