Thursday, October 7, 2010

Al-fresco dancing makes me smile!

I have said this over and over again, but just in case you have not been listening to me: I love dancing al-fresco.


Being out in the sunshine, feeling a light breeze as you dance, is such a wonderful sensation, and luckily I have been able to do a lot of outdoor dancing this summer. Over the past three weeks here in California I have danced with my sweetheart at Justin Herman Plaza, by the Ferry Building at an event put on as part of the San Francisco Lindy Exchange, in Golden Gate Park at the weekly Sunday morning Lindy in the Park, in Union Square for Lindy in the Square and during the afternoon last weekend at the Brisbane Community Park where the Hi-Rhythm Hustlers played a set as part of a community fun day.


Dancing at Justin Herman Plaza was great, as it was a beautiful day, the music was fun, there was a lot of space, and I just really like that area down by Embarcadero with the bay bridge in the background. It also felt fantastic to be back out at a dance event in the arms of my boyfriend after THREE MONTHS apart!!!








Lindy in the Park....hmmmm, not so much. I did not enjoy this experience. I probably should have given up before I had even started, when I stepped outside and the weather was grey and drizzly. This does not make for a fun dancing environment. Especially when you are wearing white plimsoles and they end up covered in splattered slushy muddy pavement gunk. I was also not entirely enthusiastic about the music selection...or the amount of tracksuit bottom type ensembles on show. But, I should probably go back on a nicer day before I pass too harsh a judgment....after all, I'm not judgin', I'm just sayin'....




Lindy in the Square was more my cup of tea, with fun music, lots of space and great surroundings. It is interesting dancing in Union Square, which is kind of like a little oasis of sorts, surrounded by the hustle and bustle of shoppers and department stores. It also starts at a great time - 6pm - meaning you don't have to wake up early for it, it's not too hot out by that time, yet it's still light out.


Oh Hi-Rhythm Hustlers, you never fail to make me want to get up and dance. Thank you for playing two sets of stonkin' good tracks on a sunny afternoon, in a beautiful setting where I could dance to my heart's content. This was the perfect afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! Brisbane took us around 10-15 minutes to drive to, was surrounded by pretty hills and was warm. Yes!










I am looking forward to my next al-fresco dance experience...probably at the Rhythm Rocker weekender in Long Beach next weekend...

1 comment:

  1. Melanie,

    I loved your commentary and description on your outdoor dance experiences in San Francisco and Brisbane. Viewing your photographs and hearing the joy in your voice makes me want to run outside and dance,dance,dance!!

    Thank you for sharing such a fun and fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete