Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Football vs. Soccer...

So after much anticipation, the England vs. USA World Cup match took place on Saturday morning. My weeks of umm-ing and ahh-ing over where best to watch the game resulted in us taking a short walk in the glorious sunshine over to Mad Dog in the Fog in the lower Haight. As we approached the venue, the united voices of football fans singing along to 'Three Lions On A Shirt' (which was playing on loop) only served to heighten my excitement - the long queue outside the pub, on the other hand, did not.

So with an hour 'til kick off, we went and had breakfast, and I tried to sit still and eat my croissant and fruit salad before we headed to a nearby pub, where, although we were packed in like sardines, there was no line to wait in, and no cover charge.


Once inside I double fisted a couple of bottles of Magners and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to get used to the constant drone of 'U-S-A! U-S-A!' cheers. I don't know what it is about American football (not to be confused with American Football) fans, but I find them to be highly irritating. Maybe it's because their chants lack the wit and fun (and smuttiness) that you hear from the mouths of English footie fans, or maybe it's because post match you find yourself laying in the park, soaking up the sunshine, and a group of people walk past shouting 'U-S-A! U-S-A!' when they didn't even win the match (I sat up from my sunshine slumber in Dolores park to point this out to these imbeciles). Either way, I was seriously disappointed with the draw, as it was not the required result to get the people around me to shut up.

My disappointment soon subsided when I received these though:


And when I saw the slip'n'slide in Dolores:


EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAAAAAAND!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment