Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fresh fluffy pillows of perfection!

Brunch brunch brunch! Nom nom nom! A visit to Just For You cafe in the Dogpatch (ruff, ruff!) neighbourhood on Sunday morning set me up for the perfect day. What more could you want, apart from a) amazing bluebottle coffee whilst you wait for your table, b) great company, c) lovely weather? Oh, that's right....BEIGNETS!

This Southern-style brunch joint has a guaranteed looooooong wait on the weekends, but it's worth it for the beignets and cornbread alone. Seriously - the tagline 'fresh, fluffy pillows of perfection' aint lying! Admittedly, not the most healthy start to the day, but oh so delicious.


So following a breakfast feast of eggs, chicken apple sausage, home fries, cornbread and beignets, a walk was in order. We walked from: Dogpatch to Potrero Hill to the Mission to Hayes Valley to the Haight. It was the perfect day for it and made me feel a little less guilty about my decadent brekkie....oh who am I kidding? I had no regrets or guilt associated to my breakfast, I just like to walk.

I really enjoy taking in the different neighbourhoods in San Francisco, as they are so unique, and all have their own quirky elements. Along the way, a giant metal sculpture scraped the sky in Hayes Valley. The Amazonian looking figure, with her head flung back to emphasise her long flowing hair (made of chains) was so striking! Apparently it was created for Burning Man, but to be honest the first thing I thought when I saw it was: BEYONCE! The sculpture was set in a pose where she was pointing to her finger, à la 'If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it!' Needless to say, this song was stuck in my head for the duration of the walk.


When we got to Haight Street, we stopped in at Club Deluxe to watch a low-key, afternoon performance by the Dimestore Dandies. If you like a bit of ukelele, double bass and kazoo, then this is for you! It's a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon, and not only do you get to listen to live music performed with a beaming smile, you can also sip on a freshly squeezed grapefruit juice from the bar (which, FYI, is delicious).

No comments:

Post a Comment