Thursday, May 13, 2010

Deco Ball Decadence.

After much anticipation, Saturday 8th May was finally the day of the Art Deco Preservation Ball, which is an annual fundraiser, hosted by the Art Deco Society of California.

It is a lavish affair, held at the beautiful Bimbo's 365 nightclub in North Beach. The men wear tuxedos and the women wear evening gowns, and the whole affair is very civilised and glamorous. As well as musical entertainment by Don Neely's Royal Society Jazz orchestra, there is a dancefloor, and performances by the Deco Belles.


So what to wear? Well, I definitely didn't think to pack any vintage evening dresses when planning my trip (despite the fact that I am not adverse to popping to the corner shop to buy a pint of milk in fancy attire, I was constrained by luggage limitations - and believe me, packing three months' worth of clothes into one suitcase is no mean feat...) so I was delighted when I found the perfect dress at an awesome little vintage shop, Bianca Starr, literally around the corner from where I was living.


This boutique is a little treasure trove of goodies! I was so happy with my dress, and over the weeks that I was living in my sublet right by this shop in the Mission, I have popped in to have a look around on many an occasion. The shop owner, Bianca, is an absolute sweetheart, and having built up a great rapport with her over the weeks, I really enjoy stopping by for a chat and a gossip. Go have a look!

So, back to the ball....what a spectacular evening! The dresses, the dresses, the dresses!!! The ladies all looked so beautiful and glamorous, and the men looked handsome and dashing. I really relish the opportunity to go all out and get dressed up for an event where you know that everyone will make an effort and get fancy too.


I enjoyed a couple of cosmopolitans, which I thought was the appropriate cocktail to accompany my outfit, and was amused by the bartender who spent the evening painting little watercolour pictures of the crowd in between serving up drinkies. He was great and so were his doodles! What a great hobby, and indeed, a great skill, to be able to just quickly entertain yourself by sketching and painting little postcard-sized pictures when you have a spare minute.


I thoroughly enjoyed the choreographed routine by the ultra-glam Deco Belles, who performed a dance to the song 'Puttin' On The Ritz' - what a gorgeous group of girls! I did end up with this song going 'round and 'round my head for the next few days though...

It was great to see so many friends dressed up to the nines! I am so glad to have been a part of this super fun event and would definitely love to go back again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment