Monday, April 26, 2010

Hello Sailor!

One of the things I really love about being in the bay area, is that I get phone calls from friends asking me if I want to go sailing.

There really is only one answer to that kind of question...Aye aye Cap'n!

So on the most perfect Sunday morning, a group of us set sail on the bay, complete with a yacht-rock playlist and a kitchen fully stocked with snacks and booze. I made a huge jug of Pimms to bring a little Britishness to the bay...unfortunately I didn't end up drinking any, due to my seasickness. Yes. In typical fashion, trust me to get seasick.

Luckily a nap helped matters. Honestly, it was the weirdest sensation, I started to feel so extremely tired and drowsy, I could hardly keep my eyes open or make conversation and I felt like the only thing that would settle my queasiness would be to lie down and shut my eyes to make it all stop.


Luckily, Seamonster Mel awoke in time to munch on a ginormous piece of fried chicken (really, I can't believe that chickens that big actually exist) as we sailed past Alcatraz and under the Bay Bridge. It was interesting to see the new part of the bridge that they are currently building, right up close like that. This was also a particularly serene part of the water, all sunny and calm, which was perfect, given the queasiness that I had previously experienced.


It was at this point that I had a chance to climb to the front of the boat and lay down on a huge pillow. I was tempted to pull a 'Titanic' pose, however, given that I was up front with Libby, rather than Leonardo, I refrained (plus, given the aforementioned seamonsterness, I'm not sure how great my rendition of 'My Heart Will Go On' would have been....and far be it from me to subject anyone to Celine Dion, in any case).


Another great discovery aboard the ship was Safeway's artichoke dip. I know this has nothing to do with sailing, but I like to talk about food and holy moly that stuff is addictive and delicious - especially when scooped up on pretzel chips. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. LUCKY!! I would love to enjoy a cruise in the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon!

    ReplyDelete